Friday, February 4, 2011

Guidance Lessons

One of my favorite things to do with young students is to read books aloud.  I enjoy creating the voices and adding in my own expressions - just making it entertaining.  It makes me so happy that my past students frequently come up to me to remind me about a book I read to them or tell me about something they themselves are reading.  It's cool!  So, as a counselor, I'm excited that I get to continue this traditional of mine, but instead of focusing on inferences, main idea, summary, sequence, and etc, I get to focus on guidance issues like self-esteem or character in my read aloud choices.  I just feel like kids are always interested in those topics, so it makes it fun to do.  Today, I read "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse" to my classes, and boy did we have a blast.  We made connections between the book and the trait of compassion.  If you've never read that book, please go get it.  It's one of those memorable ones.   

No comments:

Post a Comment